It’s finals week, a magical time of stress and brain death. The irresistible draw of the blogosphere calls to me, however, so here I am, writing a lazy list post consisting of some thoughts I’ve been having lately. You’ve probably already seen most of these if you follow me on Twitter. Oh well.
In no particular order:
- I really want to say ``May the odds be ever in your favour’‘ to people, but I didn’t actually like The Hunger Games all that much and haven’t bothered to read the books.
- Editing is the worst part of writing. J. R. R. Tolkien was a raving madman.
- I’m pretty sure the cat only loves me because I have food and body heat.
- Nobody else refers to ‘indicator lamps’ as ‘pilot lights’, and such usage is likely to confuse people.
- pdfLaTeX is a beautiful and magical piece of software.
- All text editors suck. All of them. One of these days I’m either going to learn Emacs and customize it to within an inch of its life, or just write my own.
- Actually, all software just sucks in general.
Git (and every other DVCS, for that matter) kind of sucks when you’re working with human-language text. I need to write a program which takes a line diff and converts it to a word diff so that I can actually see the differences between revisions. Apparently you can do this with
git diff --word-diff or
git diff --color-words. Thanks to Michael for pointing that out.
- The easiest way to kill your enthusiasm for a project is to decide to rewrite all of the unit tests, then stop halfway through. Unit test rewrites are an all-or-nothing deal, because coming back to them is difficult and boring.
- I need to go back through my archive and fix my tagging system. It’s kind of a mess.
- Learning is exciting and enjoyable and magical. Undergrad is boring and frustrating and soul-destroying. I look forward to grad school in the (possibly vain) hope that it is not more of the same.
I think that’s it for now. Next post should have some actual content, but I don’t know what yet. It’ll probably be either a short story, or a follow-up to the Tool Values post.
Until then, ladies and gentlemen.
P.S.—I added a list of links to some super-excellent people in the sidebar. You should check them all out.